Wes Stewart

Default doubling attic insulation - does it help?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:18:12 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 5 year old house. I can't remember the R-value, but I know
I've got the yellow insulation batts in my attic. Its what is required
for code, no more I'm sure
The insulation has paper on 1 side (down), and nothing on the exposed
side (facing up) in the attic. I was wondering if I buy the white
insulation from H.Depot (higher R-value) and put it down ON TOP of the
yellow insulation. I don't think it will compress it much - the bats
are light. Perhaps that will provide me with $$ savings?

Thanks!
jason shohet

This is Turtle.

Ed and other had some good replys but there is one thing to remember here. There
is such a thing as over insulating the attic. a example of this is put 10 feet
of insulation in your attic and then when the evening comes when the temperature
cools off . your attic has this 10 feet of insulation which will still be
transnitting heat into your house most of the nite. then when the morning comes
you will have to start heating up the 10 feet of insulation from inside the home
which will waste a lot of heat to just do this. So Too much is just as bad as
not enough.

Insulation has that much thermal mass?