Toller

Default flooded basement

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Susan wrote:
some of us here in the northeast have been having water problems.
we've lived in this house 15 yrs with a dry basement which is now
flooded. it seems like water is coming in 3 different points but we
are not sure how. it began fri 10/14 after a week of heavy rain and
has continued, weather's been dry since fri late night but water is
still coming in at this point (sun nite 10/16). we've got 3 pumps
running and my husband shopvac-ed for hours and got it pretty dry
only to have it fill up again. now we know the water table is high
but it just seems odd. our plumber and landscaper have both been here
and suggest sump pump. we're fine w this but we think it may need 2-3
for all the areas. so any suggestions are helpful
thanks
Susan--

Your recent rain has been rather unusual and strained the normally
efficient systems to take care of it. It may be several days before the
water table gets down to anything close to normal.

I would guess that a single sump pump will do the job for you. Be sure
to get a good one, not the cheapest builder's special. The better ones
have larger motors and can pump a lot more water than the cheaper ones.
It will not be often that you will see the kind of problem you had this
last week.

I would agree with Joseph; one pump ought to do it, though you might have
some water on the floor in various places since you have no drain tiles to
get the water to the sump pump efficiently. You just can't have anything
that can't get wet directly on the floor. If that's a problem then yeh, you
might need several sumps.
You might also consider a backup sumppump; both to give some protection
during power outages, and to supplement the main sumppump if it gets
overwhelmed. I like battery powered, but the majority seem to go for water
powered.