N. Thornton

Default 2 Electrics query

A type C breaker should solve your lighting problems. Lights going off
unexpectedly is a safety issue, especially when involving stairs,
kitchens, and so on.

Your 10kW shower eats around 40A, but your 60A supply has really a lot
more capacity than 60A. supplies are protected by wire fuses, and you
have to go way above 60A to pop the fuse. So no problems expected
there. You could probably put a 100A load on it and never see it blow.
Not recommended, but perfectly possible.

I've seen flats run on, I'm trying to remember, but it was one (round
pin) mains plug per flat, so either 15A or 5A per flat. Probably 15A.
Tenants considered it a pita but lived with it - just a case of
picking low power appliances, and unplugging things when you want to
boil the kettle, cook, etc etc.

Oh yes, I remember the fitted ovens too: 1950s things with no
thermostat - absolutely hopeless to cook on. You have to sit and watch
the temp dial, and switch them on and off to regulate the temp. And
on, off, on, off... Ridiculous.

It was in the late 90s I saw this too!

Regards, NT