George E. Cawthon

Default Rolling Pin Ball Bearings.....

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

Sounds like you are getting too complicated. Why
have a bearing at all? Many rollers are solid
non-turning handles which just roll in the hand;
others just use a wood or marble roller and wood
thru the center.
A steel rod through the center doesn't sound like
a good idea, nor does a ball bearing. Better
would be a brass rod and much better would be
wood. If you must have a bearing, use nylon.

I'm no rolling pin expert, but simpler has to be
better and I would stick to all wood depending on
what it was used for. I believe marble is
considered essential for some operations.