Gunner Asch

Default R.C.M and Mailboxes (Insert manaical cackle here)

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:14:35 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Our rural-style curbside single mailbox got visited by the Mailbox
Fairy last night (AKA the $#%^=&%(^!! local teenagers...) First time
in about 10 years.

Finally finished off the redwood 4X4 that I set in concrete when I
was still in High School - it dried out and shattered at the cross-arm
dovetail cut. I patched the box back onto the stump of the old post
temporarily with 3/4" plywood, but it's time to Do It Once, and Do It
Right.

Anyone have a line on some cheap 4" extra heavy wall steel tubing
in Los Angeles? Nothing TOO heavy, I only have a Miller Challenger
MIG and oxy-acetylene with B and 50CF tanks, so the really big stuff
like railroad track and 4" bar stock is out. (Nuts.)

Unless I use Thermite... (Muahahahaha!!)

The wicked part being that I want to duplicate the silhouette of the
old post and cross-arm with brace, paint it wood brown with fake
graining so they think it's still an easy mark, put a plate-steel
rural mailbox at the top, and aim a camera at it - I could use sucker
rod or well casing for the post, but that would be far too obvious...

I should probably make some sort of break-away shear mount at the
base, with a chain so it doesn't go bouncing too far. And a twist
breakaway for the arm (preferably one rigged to let the arm swing all
the way around if smacked at speed...) Just so the lawyers for the
decedent can't say I was creating "an attractive hazard" - I believe
in the principle behind the Darwin Awards (letting fools self-cleanse
the gene pool) but for some unknown reason the District Attorney and
local Tort Lawyers do not.

Anyone seen one of the heavy plate steel "oversize" rural mailboxes
with a second inner locking door and drop slot? Haven't seen both
features on the same pre-made box, I might have to make an inner door.

After that, I have to find a big steel box suitable for making into
a package drop locker. But first things first.

-- Bruce --

Get over to Brea often? Unicorn Metals often has 3-4" drops

Ask for Rito.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner