JWho

Default Inner Diameter of Hole Too Large for Press Fit

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Here is one more idea. You can snug a hole by tapping a ball bearing that
is larger than the hole at the mouth of the hole.

Another way is to drill and ream tapered holes around the diameter of the
hole and to tap in taper pins to these holes. When reaming the holes with
the tapered reamer, ream every other hole and then ream the remaining

holes
from the other side of the work piece.

Or perhaps an easier solution would be to make a tube with a larger

outside
diameter.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"JWho" wrote in message
Hi. I have an aluminum piece with a hole. There was a tube pressed

into
that hole, but I pressed it out and want to install a different tube.

The
inner diameter of the hole is slightly larger than the new tube that I

want
to press fit into the hole. The new tube can be inserted into the hole
without a press fit, but it does not rattle around. This is not a tight
enough fit. It has to be a press fit. I am hoping there is a tool to
reduce the inner diameter of the aluminum hole so that the new tube is a
tighter fit. From searching around, it seems that I may need a knurling
tool. I have a 20 ton shop press, and I am hoping to find something

that
can press through the hole to make it a smaller hole, causing a press

fit
for the new tube and aluminum piece.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Sorry to not list a real e-mail address, but it is to avoid spammers.

It
is
goteverwhatyouneed at yahoo dot com.

Thank you very much.

Hi. Thank you for the suggestions. Due to the piece, I don't want to drill
any holes into the piece.

I am going to take some pictures and get some measurements to make all this
clearer. I am going to post again later with that.

Thank you.