Rick

Default Wacky Windmill Damp

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:21:49 +0100, Windy Miller
wrote:

Hi there,
I have recently moved into a windmill (sloping walls) and there is a
problem with penetrating damp on the North and North East walls. The
areas have been recently pointed but water ingress continues. There is
a small step (25mm) about 11ft up the exterior where a wooden walkway
was located. The builder has mortared this creating a slope of mortar.
Was this the right thing for him to do as I understood pointing only
works where it is flush with the stone?
There are signs that porches have been ripped away over the two doors
and the flahing there looks very very old. What specific problems would
a 10 degree slope cause and how do I combat them especially when
creating new porches?

Hope somebody can help.

Cheers

I guess you have solid stone walls, which in my experience suggests
that being completly damp free is not an easy task.

You don't say how much water is comming in. Also In my experience
condensation on stone walls on the inside is an issue.

Rick