ESM

Default doubling attic insulation - does it help?

I'm in FL, and blown in insulation is the big thing here. I had roughly
1800 sq ft blown in at an R19 value in fiberglass. Cost me $550 and I got a
$100 credit frm the power company, so $450 total. It took about 30 minutes
to be done, and the best part is that someone else was in the attic getting
sweaty. These guys will blown in at any R value, it just costs more.

You can buy cellulose as HD/Lowes, and if you buy enough, the machine rental
is free. I think I may have saved a few bucks if I did it myself, but even
if it was $100 I could have saved, to not sweat in the attic, it was worth
the cost.
Doing it with rolled out insulation would have been far more costly.

Downside to blown in stuff is it settles over time. My house is 25 years
old, had blown in fiberglass and it settles down to around an R10 value.
Probably was R19 originally. So now I'm at R30 range.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 5 year old house. I can't remember the R-value, but I know
I've got the yellow insulation batts in my attic. Its what is required
for code, no more I'm sure
The insulation has paper on 1 side (down), and nothing on the exposed
side (facing up) in the attic. I was wondering if I buy the white
insulation from H.Depot (higher R-value) and put it down ON TOP of the
yellow insulation. I don't think it will compress it much - the bats
are light. Perhaps that will provide me with $$ savings?

Thanks!
jason shohet