Edwin Pawlowski

Default doubling attic insulation - does it help?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 5 year old house. I can't remember the R-value, but I know
I've got the yellow insulation batts in my attic. Its what is required
for code, no more I'm sure
The insulation has paper on 1 side (down), and nothing on the exposed
side (facing up) in the attic. I was wondering if I buy the white
insulation from H.Depot (higher R-value) and put it down ON TOP of the
yellow insulation. I don't think it will compress it much - the bats
are light. Perhaps that will provide me with $$ savings?

Thanks!
jason shohet

Anything helps, but keep in mind there are diminishing returns. Before you
jump into this, find out what you have and what is recommended for your
climate. In general, more is better. You can probably find some chart
showing what the potential savings are.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=11360

Don't forget the basement
http://www.bchydro.com/powersmart/el...ibrary643.html