Ray Field

Default Leaving machines plugged in

Are "surge protectors" any real help in protecting electronics? Some years
ago I had the details for wiring and components to make a home brew surge
protector - lost with all the other "gonna do" projects.
"Gary Owens" wrote in message
. ..
I'm in central Florida and we get a little lightning. I unplug my HF mini
Lathe and my HF miniMill, because of the electronics, but I leave the
Nichols Mill plugged in, as it has a double pole switch and a good ground.
Then again I also leave my computer plugged in , because I'm to lazy to
unplug it.
gary

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
Do you leave your welder, grinder, drill press, lathe, mill, etc.
plugged in all the time?

We had a lightning strike. Luckily, it hit the house instead of my new
shop! It blew everything EXCEPT light bulbs. Some things were
turned on but most were not. That indicates to me that there was a lot
of arcing across switch contacts.

So, how great is the danger of burning some shop equipment? Has it
happened to you? Or even one of Steve B's mythical friends?