john

Default High voltage capacitor needed & questions

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:26:26 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

high voltage mica caps aren't hard to find, I have a 30,000 VAC mica cap
sitting here at this moment - it's about 8 inches X 6 inches X 12 inches,
with a 8 inch insulator on top, the case is one terminal, the other is on
top of the insulator.

I suspect your TIG welder needs a lower voltage.

Mica has particular dielectric benefits in certain frequency bands - and oil
dripping out is not a real problem, jsut remove the cap, refill with oil and
seal it again. use mineral oil if you can't find capacitor oil.

Capacitor oil kinda sounds like skyhooks and file grease. I'm sure
it's not. I'll look for it and try to see why the things are leaking.
Will oil loss make the capacitance lower?
Eric
" They are mica capacitors. Can types other than mica be
used? And can they be paralleled to increase the value? Is there a
better type than mica? And finally, does anybody here have some to
sell?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Here is a site with hv mica caps. I would use this one:
CFT) 224M356 .001 µF (dual) 10 kv 1-1/8" x 1-7/8" 9.00

IF it is a dual cap you can parallel it to get the .002 uf that you
need. The cap is rated at 10 kv which is just the voltage rating. A
higher rating will work the same.

http://www.surplussales.com/Capacito...misctrans.html

John