Eric R Snow

Default High voltage capacitor needed & questions

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:19:19 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:26:26 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

high voltage mica caps aren't hard to find, I have a 30,000 VAC mica cap
sitting here at this moment - it's about 8 inches X 6 inches X 12 inches,
with a 8 inch insulator on top, the case is one terminal, the other is on
top of the insulator.

I suspect your TIG welder needs a lower voltage.

Mica has particular dielectric benefits in certain frequency bands - and oil
dripping out is not a real problem, jsut remove the cap, refill with oil and
seal it again. use mineral oil if you can't find capacitor oil.

Capacitor oil kinda sounds like skyhooks and file grease. I'm sure
it's not. I'll look for it and try to see why the things are leaking.
Will oil loss make the capacitance lower?

Pics and part numbers.

I deal with high voltage capacitors and would love
to help, but you need to provide info on the part itself.

I thought I'd already posted a message concerning pics in the dropbox.
I will be taking pics tomorrow and posting them in the dropbox. In the
meantime here's the info on the capacitor:
GAMO TYPE
MICA CAP
Miller Electric P/N 31-602
And from the manual:
Capacitor, mica .002 uf 6000 volt
The capacitors themselves have places on them for Amps, Volts, MFD,
but these spaces are blank. I hope the info above will help.
Thanks,
eric