Eric R Snow

Default Inner Diameter of Hole Too Large for Press Fit

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:35:25 GMT, "JWho" wrote:

Hi. I have an aluminum piece with a hole. There was a tube pressed into
that hole, but I pressed it out and want to install a different tube. The
inner diameter of the hole is slightly larger than the new tube that I want
to press fit into the hole. The new tube can be inserted into the hole
without a press fit, but it does not rattle around. This is not a tight
enough fit. It has to be a press fit. I am hoping there is a tool to
reduce the inner diameter of the aluminum hole so that the new tube is a
tighter fit. From searching around, it seems that I may need a knurling
tool. I have a 20 ton shop press, and I am hoping to find something that I
can press through the hole to make it a smaller hole, causing a press fit
for the new tube and aluminum piece.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Sorry to not list a real e-mail address, but it is to avoid spammers. It is
goteverwhatyouneed at yahoo dot com.

Thank you very much.

A knurling tool will not work if the assembly needs to be sealed. This
is because of the way the knurling works. The metal is displaced from
one area to another. The knurling tool for inside knurls looks like a
screw. So part of the diameter will be smaller but the other parts
will be bigger. This method may be OK for valve guides in engines but
probably isn't any good for your application. Loctite makes products
to glue cylindrical parts together. Done correctly the finished
assembly will be as good or better than a press fit. Try a web search
for the proper product and a local fastener supplier to buy it from.
ERS