Jeff Wisnia

Default Drilling holes Correcting mistakes in hole locations

Fred wrote:
Drilling 1/4" holes on a 1/8" thick mild steel plate on a floor drill press
but a few of the holes were off. Try to corrected it on my drill press to
widen the holes with the same 1/4" drill bit the bid just deflected from
side pressure. I do not want to use a larger bit since it will make the
holes too large. I then try to corrected it with a Dremel with one of those
small cylindrical grinding stone attached to a 1/8" shaft to get in the 1/4"
hole but the grinding stone only lasted about 10 seconds before
disintegrated. So what is the right tool/method just to widen those holes on
one side?

When I just have to move a hole a 'lil bit I grab the nearest size "Saw
Drill" from this set of three I bought from Harbor Freight:

Search for 42804 at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/

They say they're for softer metals only, but I've used 'em more than
once on mild steel and they still seem to be ok.

You just have to remember to "push" the work against them about 90
degrees from the direction you want to move the hole.

Before someone jumps me to mention "hand grenading" drill press chucks,
my 40+ year old Craftsman floor model's chuck is held on the spindle
with a threaded collar, and the bearings still feel good after all the
sideways hand loading I've given them so far. Sears made power tools
"right" back then, so there!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia