Ian Stirling

Default Time capsule -- anyone ever done one?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 Oct 2005 18:09:27 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

and you run thourough data integrity tests every so often.

But you won't though ! If it's spinning, you have a much higher degree

Actually, I have, twice put my entire stack of backup CD/DVDs (some 400)
through a verify process - every file that read correctly originally (there
were burn errors) still has the same MD5 sum.

of confidence in its reliability.

Spinning, RAID, with off-site backup.

Inadequate insulation on the power switch puts 240VAC on +5V line, Oh dear.
(one that I witnessed)
However, there are some ways of killing large quantities of CD/DVD.
Inadequate storage conditions, or various solvent spills nearby can rapidly
destroy the disks.