Unquestionably Confused

Default question and drive by gloat

Alex wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Both the black and white wire are attached to
the circuit breaker and only the ground is attached to the ground bar
in the box. From all the replys, it seems that I am using either the
wrong size wire or the wrong breaker.

IIRC you have a relatives short run on this line. If so, I would

1) agree with others that say you should not have a breaker larger than
20A with the #12 wiring, and

2) agree with those who say that with a 2hp motor you don't need more
than 20A protection/wiring.

The voltage to the outlet is 220v.

Okay, we know you've got the wiring/outlet configured correctly for the
voltage. Presumably it's also properly grounded. Necessary for safety,
but not to power the motor.

I have NO experience with 3-phase motors and don't know if one would
rotate at all being hooked up to single phase 220. I'm trying to get a
handle on your primary problem, i.e. being able to stop the rotation at
low speeds. That just doesn't compute with a 2HP motor.

Are your belts tight? Are you sure you have a single phase vs. 3 phase
motor? If the answer to these two questions are "yes" then I can only
suspect you have defective motor.

I am using the middle pulley on the motor and spindle. The
Vicmarc does have a variable speed control but it doesn't go all the
way to zero the way my delta 1642 does.

thanks again...Alex