jim rozen

Default Care and feeding of new mill-drill

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

From the description, I'd suggest it's a good stop. The idea would lend
itself to my vise, which is *not* a Bridgeport. I had one, but finally got
rid of it. They simply are not good enough for the kind of work I used to
do. One job in particular was a large quantity of read and write heads that
were destined for IBM, made from 5/8" square leaded brass.

Hmm. Sounds like a good company...

jaw of the vise being out. That job was one of the reasons I ended up
with a Kurt. Small one------5" jaws. Best vise I've ever used for the kind
of work I did.

I've never been terribly impressed by b'port vises. Possibly because
the only ones I've seen were pretty old and abused.

And as you say, any time vise matter at the workplace, there seems
to be one made by Kurt. Yours comment is another confirmation.

I've also found that the tiny toolmakers vise made by hardinge for
its horizontal machines is very nice as well. But someday there
may be a Kurt vise in my future...

Jim

please reply to: