Andy Dingley

Default Time capsule -- anyone ever done one?

On 16 Oct 2005 11:29:18 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

I can read any of those formats with a couple of phone calls

Crumbs, that's impressive. I'd have thought you needed some kind of
hardware. )

It's all in the whistling 8-)

How about 3" floppies?

Hamster disks are still quite easy. The funny little Japanese palmtop
(can't remember who made it) was harder, but I think you could still
get them done. The drives had a standard interface, DOS filesystems
didn't vary much between platforms.

40 column?

Never seen one. Only 80 and 36.

paper tapes,

5 track?

I can do _those_ in my own shed! Teleprinters 7, 15 and 17 will go on
forever.

Well ... we have 43Tb online right now. Moving it about isn't "trivial".

I could move 43Tb more easily today than I could move a few Gb 10 years
ago.

Biggest I've personally worked on was 2.5Tb in a rack that you could
just about pick up on your own. As it happened, the live server for
that one burned down last week with probably 1/2Tb of data on it. The
master copy is still safe on the other side of town and in the first
time I've ever heard of a big disaster recovery plan actually _working_
right, the live workload was farmed out immediately to an outsourced
edge-server outfit who took up the slack instantly.

--
'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Evesham wagn'nagl fhtagn'