Gunner Asch

Default New use for a bandsaw

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:33:13 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:42:28 -0400, "NokNokMan"
wrote:

According to the weather station I recently acquired, we got 7.11" of rain
yesterday. Between 10:30pm and 11:30pm alone the sky dumped 2.77". This
all on top of over 7" last Saturday and off and on the rest of the week.
For the first time since I bought my house 10 years ago, the basement
flooded. There was about six inches of water; not too bad considering what
I've seen on TV from around my area and of course Katrina. But the question
was, how was I going to get rid of it? I tried the shopvac, but lugging 10
gallons of water at a pop up the outside stairs got old very quickly. Then
I looked over at the Turn Pro bandsaw and said to myself, "Hmmm, might be a
good time to try out the coolant pump." I took off shoes/socks,
disassembled the coolant container and was delighted to find a nice quality
cast-iron pump lurking down there. I mickey-moused some hoses together
eventually attaching a garden hose and ran it up the stairs. Found out how
to disconnect the electric to the saw from the pump (pump won't run unless
the saw's turned on). Moved the saw into the deepest water, set the pump
down, turned it on and in two hours the basement was dry. I don't think
I'll ever press this poor pump into that kind of duty again, but I'm sure
there wasn't a pump to be had at the big-box stores this weekend. BTW, the
saw works great, too!

The feckless suffer and bleat pitifully while the competent
improvise, get 'er done -- and then help others. Careful, you
may have just earned a place on Gunner's list of "survivalists"...

Indeed.

"adapt, improvise, overcome"

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner