Gunner Asch

Default High voltage capacitor needed & questions

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:36:40 GMT, tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom (Eric R Snow)
wrote:

Last week Ernie Leimkuhler held a mig welding tutorial at Grant's
place ( Thanks again Grant and ernie!). Ernie told me that the high
voltage caps in the high frequency circuit go bad and it is hard to
find replacements for them. I had noticed that something was dripping
on the floor underneath the Miller Goldstar welder. I searched in
without success for the source of the drips. Then yesterday I found
the source while wiring in an extra relay and receptacle. The relay
connects the receptacle to 115 volts which then powers up the water
cooler for tig welding. The source is the high voltage capacitors.
some kind of oily substance is coming out of them and dripping down
the red phenolic mounting board. Ernie was right, these caps are hard
to find. In fact, using google tonight to find these caps was
fruitless. They are mica capacitors. Can types other than mica be
used? And can they be paralleled to increase the value? Is there a
better type than mica? And finally, does anybody here have some to
sell?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Oh oh....Now Erics place is a Hazmat site. PCBs...Run Erick Run!!1

http://www.arcowelder.com/

Call and ask for Dennis. Tell him Gunner refered you. Id be surprised
if he didnt have some good used ones kicking around

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner