Mike Mitchell

Default Steel windows versus plastic double-glazed

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:41:25 +0100, "Phil" wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
t...
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| Are Crittall's steel-framed windows of yore that much worse for
| insulation than cheapo plastic-framed double-glazed units?
| In terms of heating bills, how long would it take to amortize
| the cost (ca. £5,000) of replacing steel-framed windows with
| the uPVC variety?
| I reckon it would take literally years before one had paid
| off the costs through fuel savings.

Quite possibly longer than plastic windows last.

If your windows are old and draughty you could consider replacing them

with
new Crittall windows - they're still made, but to updated standards of
insulation - which might be more in keeping with the period of your
property.

Owain

Interesting, I didn't know that Crittall were still about. Mine are 85
years old (I think) with mainly original oak frames and good quality brass
furniture. All leaded lights with individual glasses. Still serviceable but
a little draughty at times.
I've been thinking about replacing them but haven't been able to find a
good alternative. Leaded lights are essential but this reduces the light by
approx. 20%. This is an old house with small and few windows, maximum light
input is also essential. Plastic/aluminium frames have very much larger
glazing bars which further restricts the light input.
I will try to find a little more info on modern Crittalls.
Many thanks
Phil

See http://www.crittall-windows.co.uk/

I replaced two wooden frames. They're dirt cheap and come in 4
sections. I got mine from a Crittall dealer, Lightfoot Windows in
Croydon. A small frame cost roughly 30 quid and will be still around
long after I have kicked the bucket, since the house was already fifty
years old and most of the frames had lasted that long already.

I hate modern uPVC replacements! Not all, but many are very, very ugly
and do not match the style of property. I reckon most of them are an
abomination.

MM