George

Default Deaths thru woodturning

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

I also have the feeling that the modern woodlathe, with exellent
chucks, highspeed steel tools, and far better speedcontrol than
a genration ago, has drastically reduced the dangers.

I think you're imagining safety factors that do not exist. The steel in the
tools? Hardly. Old lathes could and did rotate slowly, and unless you're
talking a modest chunk of wood, a chuck is _not_ the initial mount you want.

I don't and won't stand in the throw zone of the lathe at start and spinup.
That's plain dumb. No need to stand in the throw zone for cutting, unless
you're talking long spindles, either. If those two rules are observed,
home-made lathes - for the all used to be - are certainly as safe as a
commercial piece.

It's the guys who talk about weighting their lathes to keep them from
walking about the shop that concern me most. There are many who are
inclined to brag about how off-balance they can turn as if it were a good
thing. Of course, they often include people who use and vigorously espouse
a spur center or a flimsy single screw at the headstock rather than the
sturdy faceplate or pin chuck, which doubles their danger.