Ian Stirling

Default Steel windows versus plastic double-glazed

fred wrote:
In article , Phil writes
Interesting, I didn't know that Crittall were still about. Mine are 85
years old (I think) with mainly original oak frames and good quality brass
furniture. All leaded lights with individual glasses. Still serviceable but
a little draughty at times.

I've read up on draught proofing steel windows with a carefully applied and
formed bead of silicone - left to set before the window is closed of course ;-),

I have draught-proofed my wooden windows.
Take some packing tape (you probably want to dust it with a little flour
so that it does not stick very hard, or use proper low-tack tape).
Now, place inside where the window seals.
Smear a light layer of margarine on the tape.
Now, run a bead of silicone along the outside edge of the window.
Close window.
Leave a couple of days.
Remove tape, wipe edge of silicone with a hot soapy rag to remove grease.