mm

Default Furnace left soot on my walls

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:30:08 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
When my furnace was working badly (the flue was clogged with soot, and
only about a 2 inch diameter open), it got soot on the walls,
especially where there were air currents and especially where the
sheet rock was nailed to the wall in the big bedroom**

As suggested last year, I put cloves in the fire, but didn't smell any
cloves coming out of the furnace. That is supposed to mean that the
firebox is ok, a complete separation between the fire and the forced
air.

So how did the soot get on the walls, especially where the hot air
vents are in the walls or floor or ceiling?

Is the firebox breached even though I don't smell the cloves.

I mean no offense, but:

Sounds like you don't get regular maintenance on your furnace (if you had,
you wouldn't have a clogged flue).

Right. I didn't at the time.

Have someone come out and clean it and check it over real good.

Well, someone from a heating oil company did clean it. That's when I
saw how clogged it was. And I've had it serviced again since then by
another company, and neither said anything bad about the firebox. The
second guy said it was ok.

But my question is, If the firebox IS ok, how is it possible that
there are streaks/areas of soot on the wall at the outlets for the
heated air?

How does the soot from the firebox get to the household air on the
other side of the firewall?

I can imagine that sooty air escapes the fire chamber, permeates the
house and deposits itself everywhere, but that isn't what happened.
It's only on the sheetrock nails in most of the rooms where the heat
was on, on the walls where the vents are, and by the mail slot (which
I have now attempted to put weatherstripping in.) which is not too far
from a heating vent.

Eff the cloves! If you are trusting that with your life, you had better

I would trust my life to cloves. I also have a CO detector, which
went off once beffore the furnace was cleaned.

Thanks,

mm

think again.....

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let