Dan

Default question and drive by gloat

In article .com,
"Alex" wrote:

I have a question about my new Vicmarc VL300 (that I bought for $1500
dollars from a world famous turner!) It's a 220v 2hp motor and I don't
have 22o wired in my shop. I bought a 30amp 220v circuit breaker,
wired both the black and white wire to the outlet using 12 gauge wire
and everything seems to be working fine, but I can actually stop the
lathe at low speed. It would seem that I should not be able to do
this. Any tips would be appreciated. BTW the wire run is only about
20 feet or so.

thanks....Alex

Alex, you should either change your breaker to a 20 amp one or change
your wire to 10 gauge. 12 gauge wire is only rated for 20 amps. It isn't
safe on a 30 amp circuit. It could melt before the breaker trips.