W Canaday

Default Deaths thru woodturning

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:38:29 +0000, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

My 40-something years working in various types of shops has convinced
me that technology has yet to conquer the three greatest contributors
(causes) of accidents.....

haste......

lack of forethought.......

and ignorance.....

Four: Not paying attention

I think it might have been Samuel Clemens who noted that it is nearly
impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Keep teaching the young ones how to do lathe work ... safely. The most
important thing going on is that one generation is learning from and
loving the other. As a side benefit, the younger ones learn how to make
things ... some of which happen to be round ... and gain the confidence
that comes from the certainty of acquired skill. ANd we older ones get to
show young eyes the beauty that keeps drawing us out to our tools and wood
pile day after day and late into the night.

Bill