Edwin Pawlowski

Default Floating Hardwood floor (Tips?)

"Amy L." wrote in message
I am laying (floating) an engineered hardwood floor and so far its been
pretty fun. Does anyone have any good tips on making things easier.

Knee pads

..

[1] Glue - when the excess glue pops out between the joints what do you
use to clean it up? I am using a damp cloth and it works well, but I feel
like I am spending too much time ensuring there is no glue showing between
the boards. The flooring has beveled edges so I usually run my nail along
the edge making sure it is absolutely clean.

Use less glue. You realy need very little for a good bond so practic on
justhow muc of a bead to lay donw on the edge.

[2] Any tips on cutting around door edges or vents in the floor for
heat/ac?

When you say door edges, do you mean the trim? Did you cut the bottom fo
the trim with an offset saw? Makes life much easier.

[3] Any tips on momentum - I would love to pick up some speed but it just
seems like a slow process.

One person glues, the other sets the strip in place.

[4] Any tips on when cutting end pieces to fit keep the splintering to a
minimum? I have been using a pretty good blade (100T 12inch) and going
slow and this has been working good, but occasionally I do get a bit of a
rough edge.

There should be about zero splintering with a good sharp blade. Maybe yours
is not as sharp as you think. I bought a DeWalt CMS just to do the floor
and the stock blade did a good job.

I know some of those are basic questions and that putting in a floating
floor is not rocket science, but with putting in my own (first) floor I
just want to do the best job I can.

Take your time with the details and it will look good and you'll get a lot
of satisfaction from a job well done.