Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Care and feeding of new mill-drill

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

... I have the back (fixed) jaw of my vise drilled
and tapped 1/4-20 for setting various stops,

This is why the vises in the shop at work often tend to have the
little oblong tab washer hung off the back.

Actually I purchased an inexepensive clamp-on stop that fits
B'port vise jaws very securely. It fits onto the edge that
protrudes up, and goes on with a setscrew that really ties
it down tight.

It has a short dowel pin that sticks out each side to actually
locate against, so it can be used right- or left-handed.
Can't imagine getting along without something like that for
repetitive operations.

Jim

From the description, I'd suggest it's a good stop. The idea would lend
itself to my vise, which is *not* a Bridgeport. I had one, but finally got
rid of it. They simply are not good enough for the kind of work I used to
do. One job in particular was a large quantity of read and write heads that
were destined for IBM, made from 5/8" square leaded brass. I was roughing
the internal configuration, after which I squared them and machined them to
length. I had sub-contracted the parts (hundreds of them) from another
firm, where they were finished on an NC. This goes back to the late 60's,
before CNC was commonly available. The BP vise was out enough that
I couldn't hold the part square within the .0005" tolerance, and you can
believe me when I tell you I know how to do small, precision work. I
ended up intentionally tilting the head of my BP to compensate for the solid
jaw of the vise being out. That job was one of the reasons I ended up
with a Kurt. Small one------5" jaws. Best vise I've ever used for the kind
of work I did.

Harold