IMM

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

"Owain" wrote in message
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote
| (1) How long is a piece of string :-)

About waves hands that long.

Once the structural and roof work is done, the rest of it is usually just
floorboards, plasterboard, wire and plumb.

| (2) Looking at possibly buying a bungalow and converting the loft.
| I know neighbours who have been quoted abot £25k for a full loft
| conversion of a similar area on a two storey house.

If the bungalow is one of a scheme of identical/similar bungalows have a
walk round and see if any neighbours have loft conversions; if several do
then it's a good indication that conversion is possible and economically
viable. If you're brave you could even knock on their door and ask them

what
it cost and which builder they used (and look where they put the stairs).

If
no-one else has done a loft conversion you might ask yourself why.

People often forget that bungalows have foundations intended for single
storey houses and conversion to a two storey might mean improving the
foundations. Costly and disruptive.

Better then to pull the bungalow down and build a 2 or 1.5 floor house, with
high insulation levels and passive solar if a decent south face. It will be
cheaper doing it this way. You will certainly recoup the cost when selling.