Goedjn

Default Service door in a garage door

On 14 Oct 2005 04:09:52 -0700, "Todd" wrote:

I'd prefer not to cut into the brick. Besides, I'd have to put the
door on an adjacent wall where there is no driveway or sidewalk, so I'd
have to pave it. And it would consume valuable wallspace where I
currently have benches or equipment. Wall space is a premium and I'd
rather not lose any. That is an option, but I'd like to see if a
service door could be reasonable installed into my garage door first.

If you add a column of hinges on either side, I don't see any
reason why you couldn't chop a hole in your door 3 panels high,
although you'd probably want to leave a metal bar across the
bottom to keep the spacing right. Having done that,
there's no reason why you couldn't mount a door in the
hole, except that the door doesn't fold.. So you cut the
door into panels to match the garage door, and hinge the
panels together. Mind you, this door won't open when
the garage door is lifted at all, and if you try to open the
garage door while the access-port is open, you'll wreck
something, so you probably want some sort of interlock on
the electric door-hoist.