RicodJour

Default Roof leaks only during heavy rain

Mikepier wrote:
Here in the NYC area we have had continuous rain for about the past 6-7
days. Just to give you an idea, on the radio this morning they said the
last time we got this much rain was back in 1913.
Anyway, a leak in my kitchen ceiling prompted me to go into the attic
to find where the roof was leaking. While I did find the spot, I could
not find anywhere on the roof that would lead me to believe there was a
problem. This is a regular sloped asphalt shingle roof about 10-15
years old which was put on top of the existing roof.
I've never had leaks before, this is the first time I noticed a
problem. Is it normal to get leaks during prolonged heavy rain with a
NE wind? Also, could the leak be actually coming from someplace else on
the roof and traveling to the spot I see in the attic?

Yes, and yes.

Welcome to the world, and art, of leak detection. Direction of wind
and intensity of rain both play a part. Often the easiest way to
replicate a leak to track it down, is to use a hose and send the stream
in the direction of the prevailing wind that causes the leak. Work
your way up from the bottom of the roof as water rarely runs uphill.

The leak may be caused by something as small as a stray nail placed so
that it isn't under cover of the shingle above, or isn't under enough
cover. The water may travel along the top of the roof sheathing until
it hits a seam and enters at that point. If you can see the underside
of the roof sheathing, you're ahead of the game as you now have
narrowed down your search to one piece of plywood.