Mikepier

Default Roof leaks only during heavy rain

Here in the NYC area we have had continuous rain for about the past 6-7
days. Just to give you an idea, on the radio this morning they said the
last time we got this much rain was back in 1913.
Anyway, a leak in my kitchen ceiling prompted me to go into the attic
to find where the roof was leaking. While I did find the spot, I could
not find anywhere on the roof that would lead me to believe there was a
problem. This is a regular sloped asphalt shingle roof about 10-15
years old which was put on top of the existing roof.
I've never had leaks before, this is the first time I noticed a
problem. Is it normal to get leaks during prolonged heavy rain with a
NE wind? Also, could the leak be actually coming from someplace else on
the roof and traveling to the spot I see in the attic?