BillyBob

Default Okay all you mechanical engineers ...

"DIYGUY" wrote in message
oups.com...
... answer me this question. If a caster wheel is rated at a load
carrying capacity (which it is) how is the rating determined? I have a
600# tool I want to put on casters. Does each caster have to be rated
at 600# or can I get four casters, one on each corner, that are each
rated at 150# (or more) load bearing capacity?

This is important because casters with higher load bearing capacity are
much larger and I want to keep the added height of the tool down to the
bare minimum. Thanks all for your answers ...

It occured to me that we all focused on answering your question about
casters. I was thinking.. It sounds like you are contemplating putting the
machine right on top of the casters. Virtually all the machine stands I've
seen have the casters mounted outside the legs of the machine, so the
machine can sit as low as possible. Height of the caster should not be
major factor. Also, for a stationary machine that weighs 600 pounds, I
would think you should use metal construction. You will be hard presssed to
build your own out of metal and save any money as compared to buying a
commercially built stand.

Bob.