Gunner

Default Static Phase Converter?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:28:59 -0400, "JB" wrote:

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Once again I am here with my hat in hand humbly requesting your
assistance. As some of you know, I am in the process of purchasing a
Colchester Circa 1960's MK 1 1/2 lathe. It has a two speed 5hp 3 phase
motor. Will I be able to run it successfully on a static phase
converter?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards.

Joe...

Joe

I am pretty sure you would be content with the performance of a lathe at
home with a 5 HP 3 phase motor powered with single phase.
You probably wont be content with its performance if you intend to run it
loaded over about 4 HP for extended periods.
I'm impressed with the ability of a lathe like that being able to reverse
quite quickly.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the help. I don't think I'll be loading it up over 4 HP,
especially for long periods of time. My other concern is whether the two
speed motor will work with a static converter. Some say yes, some say no
and some say maybe.

Thanks again.

Joe...

Joe..save yourself some money and build a 7.5hp rotary converter. Even
rope start works very well for this application. You should be able
to find a good used motor for very little money (Id give you one if
you were closer), or simply add a pony motor and spin it up then apply
power to the big motor. Shrug..Im just about done with a 10hp pony
motor run PRC that runs even my big Clausing 1501 (7.5hp) in full
reverse/forwards applications, along with my big 3ph mig (though not
at the same time G)

You DONT need the bells and whistles of a self starter, unless you
absolutly want to.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner