Doctor Drivel

Default Megaflow v Thermal Store

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Hum, I like that idea or beast of a boiler (38kW) cycles liike crazy
and overheats unless we wind it's stat well down when it only has the
HW to heat or just a little bit of CH. Solar would be nice to add
along with a woodburner so a thermal store or a heatbank sound like a
very good idea if it can soak up 38kW from the boiler as well...

The boiler size is probably overkill but not by much when you consider
it may have to heat 2 3 bed semis with external temps down to -10C and
a gale blowing...

I would definitely recommend it - it's a pretty simple arrangement, and
works very well with oil boilers. As long as the boiler to cylinder pipe
run is adequate, you should be able to dump your 38kW into the cylinder
without any problems. Probably go for 28mm, with as few bends as possible.

As long as the coil can take 38kW, or if heating the store direct that is
not an issue. The beauty of thermal store/heat bank is that when connected
direct the boiler size can be as big as you like. I know of one man who
picked up a 75kW oil boiler for a few hundred pounds (the contractor messed
up and had it spare) . He only needed 16kW for the CH. I advised a thermal
store with 32mm connections and CH run off the store too. The store was
heated in no time and his 3 bathrooms could be run simultaneously and never
run out of hot water when filling them all. 75kW in combi terms gives
approx 30 litres/min of instant hot water, so when re-heating the store it
poured in the heat.

With gas you are limited to around 55kW (spare for a hob) because of the U6
meter.