Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
Perhaps, but solder work-hardens ... a LOT. If the joint is subject to
even slight vibration or flexure, the solder-only joint will eventually
fail.

I have personally fixed a few "cold" joints in old TVs just by
reheating the solder joint. I suspect the failed connection was
related to mechanical stress.

More likely due to corrosion. I've experienced such a phenomenon on a
microphone input, which had started acting as a detector and sending a radio
station to the amplifier. "Honest, Mr. Madsen, I didn't have a radio on
while I was running the sound system."

I was vindicated when I found the corroded connection.

Harold