jim rozen

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

In article , Spehro Pefhany says...

Ever used screw terminals on tinned stranded wire?

Usually you have to re-tighten them the next day.

I would say that's not cold-flowing - if you went back
in one minute they'd be just a loose as a day later.

The screw can muster enough force to permantly deform
the lead tin, as soon as you tighten it down.

This is different than what, for example, teflon does
under a screw, which is more of a long term creep effect.

Granted we are discussing semantics here, but there *are*
metals like indium for example, that really do cold-flow.
I can do indium seal flange bolts up tight to torque one
night, and the next night they really are slack again.
And it takes that long for it to relax.

My point is that there is no need to perform those western
electric 'wrap both way' splices, and no need to do the
'stick the wire though the tube socket lug and wrap it around
five times,' before soldering. Sure they taught that, but
if you do it the simple way the electronics are every bit
as robust and a heck of a lot easier to build and repair.

This from somebody who's been inside more halicrafters radios
than he cares to admit.

Jim

please reply to: