Martin H. Eastburn

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

When working for Schlumberger, we had a tool chest tower of drawers -
full of handles of all sizes and the rest were dies for specific wire...
When dealing in high rel and very high current lugs items like this are required.

Lower level of requirements lend lesser quality of crimps.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:08:23 GMT, the renowned "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Ignoramus25589" wrote in message

I will soon need to crimp many terminals on many short, but thick, 1
gauge or 0 gauge cables.

Crimpers are just too expensive.

Is there some way to get acceptable crimps without a crimper.

I guess, also, that I could buy one on ebay and later sell it, but I
would prefer to avoid that.

Sure there is. Buy an inexpensive pair of Chinkalloy bolt cutters, and
grind the profile you need into the blades. You can probably have the tool
for $12.00 and a half-hour's work.

LLoyd

Have you seen what the proper T&B dies for this sort of application
look like?

They are *not* just your cheap crimper scaled up-- the barrel of the
lug is *swaged* down on the leadwire with interleaved fingers on the
die set, not just collapsed inward in a small section. That's why they
don't come loose.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany