Robert Swinney

Default Pocket Knives

You are right, Don. Even if you had no first-hand experience with ATS-34, I
would believe you are correct because you are quoting performance and
attributes from modern steel charts. IMO, quality of the legendary truck
spring steel lies mostly (no pun intended) in the minds of those that have
made cutlery from them. If someone goes to the trouble to grind out a knife
shaped object from a piece of raw steel, he is "bound" to believe it is
wonderful stuff. If the same individual made a comparison blade from
ATS-34, for example, he probably would not be quite so high on truck
springs.

Personally, I prefer my blades be made from the axels of a 1937 Plymouth;
dipped nine times in panther **** during odd full moons.

Bob Swinney

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On 13 Oct 2005 05:43:02 -0700, "Bugs" wrote:

Rust resistance and edgeholding ability are contradictory terms.
Stainless steels will not keep a sharp edge.

This was once true but is no longer. ATS-34 heat-treated to Rc 60-62
takes and holds a very respectable edge.