Wayne Cook

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:25:44 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:08:23 GMT, the renowned "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Ignoramus25589" wrote in message
I will soon need to crimp many terminals on many short, but thick, 1
gauge or 0 gauge cables.

Crimpers are just too expensive.

Is there some way to get acceptable crimps without a crimper.

I guess, also, that I could buy one on ebay and later sell it, but I
would prefer to avoid that.

Sure there is. Buy an inexpensive pair of Chinkalloy bolt cutters, and
grind the profile you need into the blades. You can probably have the tool
for $12.00 and a half-hour's work.

LLoyd

Have you seen what the proper T&B dies for this sort of application
look like?

They are *not* just your cheap crimper scaled up-- the barrel of the
lug is *swaged* down on the leadwire with interleaved fingers on the
die set, not just collapsed inward in a small section. That's why they
don't come loose.

Yes I have seen them considering that I have a T&B crimper hanging
in the shop. I don't see anything to them that couldn't be duplicated
in a pair of cheap bolt cutters of the right size. I would want to
know the size of the opening (easily done since they're hanging right
there for me to measure) but other than that definitely doable for one
or two sizes of wire.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm