Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:08:23 GMT, the renowned "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Sure there is. Buy an inexpensive pair of Chinkalloy bolt cutters, and
grind the profile you need into the blades. You can probably have the
tool
for $12.00 and a half-hour's work.

LLoyd

Have you seen what the proper T&B dies for this sort of application
look like?

They are *not* just your cheap crimper scaled up-- the barrel of the
lug is *swaged* down on the leadwire with interleaved fingers on the
die set, not just collapsed inward in a small section. That's why they
don't come loose.

Yes, I've seen them, and I've done a lot of it for electrical and
weight-bearing equipment -- both with the right Thomas & Betts and AMP
crimpers and with makeshift tools. You can make up in technique a lot of
what the right tool would do automatically. Crimps aren't magic. Put the
right profile in the jaws, and you can "step" the crimp down the barrel as
required.

When anyone tells me I can't do a workman-like job with tools I've done it
with, it kinda leave me thinking they don't have much imagination. Stretch
your mind a bit.

LLoyd