dadiOH

Default Hardwood floor refinish issue

Pop wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:Ppg3f.44066$HM1.31352@trnddc04...
wrote:

He indicates that the new wood will yellow with age (or darken),
but I have my doubts. It seems to me that the new wood should more
closely match the existing wood RIGHT FROM DAY ONE. Am I off base
here? Should I pay him the balance for his work, or should I demand
that he replace the new lighter wood with something closer in
color? Thanks!

It is true that most woods darken after a few months exposure to
light. However, the old wood was stained and the stain was sanded
off. That means any darkening due to sunlight was also sanded off
and both it and the new wood are raw. They should be similar in
color.

Uhh, no! It doesn't work that way. Sound logical, but it's not
the way it works.

So how *does* it work?

I have a piece of cherry on a jig in my shop. It was oiled and is at
least 15 years old. Cherry is very photo sensitive and it is a deep,
dark red now. A light sanding (with 150 grit yet!) gets it back to the
original brown heart wood color pre-oil. If the OP's floor was sanded
sufficiently to remove the dark stain, color changes due to light are
gone too.

I repeat: if the wood color in the patched area doesn't match the rest
of the floor now it never will. My best guess is that the two are
different oak species; likely, original red oak, new white oak.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at