Brian Lawson

Default What does heat treatment cost?

Hey TOTom,

Give a yellow pages call, or try the closest Thyssen Marathon. They
will give you prices, but ask LOTS of questions. If you waive damage
claims, are willing to wait, and your stuff is small enough to go in
with a big companies load, and it's not some critical material, prices
may well be below $10

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 13 Oct 2005 12:41:37 GMT,
(The other Thomas
Gardner) wrote:

Subject pretty much says it all: What can one expect to pay for various
forms of heat treatment (for hardening, not annealing)? I've been under
the assumption that any kind of heat-treat is pretty spendy, so I've
been trying to pick materials that can get by without, but some folks
are telling me it ain't so bad. I can find no pointers on price, though.
Not so bad to one guy could be a back breaker to another...

I know different materials are going to require different procedures,
so I would expect the costs to vary. However, does anyone have have any
rules of thumb to get me in the ballpark of what I might expect for at
least a few of the various procedures? Knowing the price differences
in the treatment types would also help me in material selection.

For a general idea, think a cube of steel about 3.5" on a side. That
should be about the right ballpark. Probably doing these in respectable
quantity, like maybe a few hundred in a squirt. Not vast quantity, but
respectable.

Thanks,
tg.