Chuck Sherwood

Default Static Phase Converter?

with the VFD. For extreme cases (where you *really* need the higher
torque of the low speed, or the higher speed of the high speed), you can

I don't think that is the case. All 2 speed motors that I have looked
at have a much lower HP rating on Low speed than high speed. Usually
it is less than 1/2. I would venture that a 2 speed motor runing on
high speed but slowed down with a VFD will actually have more
(or at least as much) HP as the same motor runing on low speed.

So in my opinion you can wire the lathe to only use high motor
speed and then use the VFD to generate the low speed without
any loose in motor torque.

Once you use a VFD you will love it. For example I was facing an
8 inch diameter disc. I set the VFD for 20Hz and geared the lathe
for the speed I wanted for full diameter. As the toolbit
works it way towards the center, I gradually increase the VFD
frequency to increase the spindle RPM. It makes facing a big
object so much faster and better.

chuck