The other Thomas Gardner

Default What does heat treatment cost?

Subject pretty much says it all: What can one expect to pay for various
forms of heat treatment (for hardening, not annealing)? I've been under
the assumption that any kind of heat-treat is pretty spendy, so I've
been trying to pick materials that can get by without, but some folks
are telling me it ain't so bad. I can find no pointers on price, though.
Not so bad to one guy could be a back breaker to another...

I know different materials are going to require different procedures,
so I would expect the costs to vary. However, does anyone have have any
rules of thumb to get me in the ballpark of what I might expect for at
least a few of the various procedures? Knowing the price differences
in the treatment types would also help me in material selection.

For a general idea, think a cube of steel about 3.5" on a side. That
should be about the right ballpark. Probably doing these in respectable
quantity, like maybe a few hundred in a squirt. Not vast quantity, but
respectable.

Thanks,
tg.

--
To reply by mail, remove all lower case letters in my return address
).