jim rozen

Default M Head Tool Holder Removal

In article , Sunworshipper says...

I give up and have to ask, ok I abused it and it's probably really
stuck and left for at least 5 years. I've beat on the loosened draw
bar probably less than what the threads can handle and afraid to hit
it harder. IIRC the draw bar won't come out, if it does, anyone know
what Dia. rod I can use for a punch? Or will pickle fork work or what?

M heads in principle have a drawbar that pushes as well as pulls. If
it's the stock one then holding the larger nut (with the two flats)
and then turning the upper one (hex) CCW as viewed from above, should
apply force to expel the collet.

If it's not the stock drawbar, or if using the pusher feature simply
isn't strong enough, go easy on the spindle. Those are basically
a pair of SAE 205 bearings in there and they're tolerably fragile.

If it's stuck bad, I would consider removing the quill and
using a hydraulic press to push the collet out, so you can make
up a fixture to press against the bottom of the spindle, so no
force is applied through bearings. Good luck my friend.

Jim

please reply to: