The Natural Philosopher

Default The real cost of barn conversion

philt wrote:

I am very interested in buying a barn I have seen. All the services are
in place and it 'looks' in good repair. I would be very thankfull if
anybody could advise me of the most common mistakes (£) people make
when attempting to convert a barn. I have read the posts relating to
foundations of barns on this site and have found them interesting. The
barn when converted will have a livable area of 1600 sq. ft., I know
its a near impossible question but if anyone would like to hazard a
guest at the sort of buget required to finish it to a reasonable
standard I would be greatfull.
Ultimately I would like to build a house and see this as a taste of
things to come. Any constructive comments will be very welcome.

I saw quoted in a weekend magazine some years ago that a total makeover
of a london flat to 'modern standards' was £100 a sq ft.

That to my mind is incredible, but it places an upper bound on your
project of £160,000.

Making it 'Barrat superhutch' standard yourself is probably about one
fifth of that.

I mean do you want £25k kitchens and bathrooms, or £2.5k ones?

Will you floor it at £20 a square meter (£320) or polished limestone at
£200 a sq meter? (£3200)

Will you stick in a central lamp pendant with a single switch and low
energy bulb and a £5 shade for what - £50 a room...or 4 fully dimmable
wall units , and mood lighting accessories at £500 a room?

Will you be content with 'magnolia' sprayed plasterboard lining, or want
reproduction flock victorian wallpaper.

Is furniture included?

What about a drive and the garden?

All one can really say is that the barn is probably worth about £30-£50
a square foot, unconverted, plus the land value, and its up to you to
settle on a budget, and then advice can be given as to the appropiate
ways to spend it.

I would NOT tackle it without at leasts £50k realistically avialable.

Unless you are prepared to live in it 'as it goes' and just do what you
can when funds are available...then maybe £20-30k would get it street
legal for habitation, and you can settle in to many happy years of
DIY...;-0)

What you must have is a weatherproof, properly glazed and insulated
house, with at least one working toilet and kitchen, proper drainage of
rain water and sewage, and electrical power coming at least to a deceent
consumer unit..and a couple of rings laid in. I'd advise also a properly
functional central heating system, and since it all has to go in before
walls are finished off, the heating system. wiring and pipework at least
laid in to where its going to be needed, even if its not connected up.