Jon Elson

Default M Head Tool Holder Removal

Sunworshipper wrote:
I give up and have to ask, ok I abused it and it's probably really
stuck and left for at least 5 years. I've beat on the loosened draw
bar probably less than what the threads can handle and afraid to hit
it harder. IIRC the draw bar won't come out, if it does, anyone know
what Dia. rod I can use for a punch? Or will pickle fork work or what?

The drawbar on my M head came out, but I had the same problem.
I ended up heating the spindle with a propane torch, while I
had ice on the end mill holder. I had made a pair of c-shaped
plates that would get between the holder and the spindle nose,
and had bolts spreading the plates. I beat on the drawbar with
a 5-Lb hammer, all at the same time. Finally, the combination
of the 3 techniques all at once broke it free.

The pickle fork, or maybe two of them together, might do better
than my plates and bolts.

Jon