Harry K

Default Removing the drive pulley from my MTD Yardbug

tbyers31 wrote:
I solved one problem and caused another...

I was able to get the belt on by loosening the metal plate that
stretches the width of the body frame and forms the belt guard. To do
this I had to remove both back wheels, two screws on each side of the
frame holding the plate, loosen 2 screws from the middle where the
plate attaches to the differential, and remove 2 screws where a control
cable plate gets in the way of the belt guard moving. Whew!

Had I known this from the beginning, I could have had the belt replaced
in an hour.

But here's my worse problem... somewhere in the process (I think
tapping on the pulley) I caused an oil leak, out of the bottom of the
engine. Did I break a seal where the engine sits on the frame? Will I
have to pull the engine completely to reseal it? I'm at a loss how to
fix this.

Thanks for all the tips.

Thanks for the information. Looks more and more like my pocket book is
going to do the job. At 70 I don't relish crawling around on the floor
and I have no lift.

As to the oil leak. If it is the seal the motor has to come out and
all pulleys removed. You can't 'fix' a leaking seal except by
replacing it.

Harry K