Pop

Default Hardwood floor refinish issue

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:Ppg3f.44066$HM1.31352@trnddc04...
: wrote:
: I have an older home, built in the 30's, that has hardwood
flooring in
: the living room. The floor was previously stained quite
dark, and had
: big scratches. Additionally, I removed a floor furnace and
it left a
: large hole in the floor along the wall by the entrance to the
kitchen.
:
:
: I hired a refinisher to come in and do the following:
repair/fill the
: hole then sand and coat the entire living room floor with
: polyeurethane to natural color (that was his suggestion).
:
: He did a great job except for one thing. The wood he used
to repair
: the hole where the furnace used to be is quite a bit lighter
than the
: existing wood. As in, the original wood is almost an
orangish-red
: and the new wood is nearly white.
:
: He indicates that the new wood will yellow with age (or
darken), but I
: have my doubts. It seems to me that the new wood should more
closely
: match the existing wood RIGHT FROM DAY ONE. Am I off base
here?
: Should I pay him the balance for his work, or should I demand
that he
: replace the new lighter wood with something closer in color?
Thanks!
:
: It is true that most woods darken after a few months exposure
to light.
: However, the old wood was stained and the stain was sanded off.
That
: means any darkening due to sunlight was also sanded off and
both it and
: the new wood are raw. They should be similar in color.
:
:
: --
: dadiOH
: ____________________________
:
: dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
: ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
: LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
: Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
:
:
Uhh, no! It doesn't work that way. Sound logical, but it's not
the way it works.